Learn to play the trumpet with a great jazz band!
Written with the leading British Jazz trumpeter Steve Waterman, The Jazz Method for Trumpet teaches you how to play through the idiom of jazz.
Now in its twenty-fourth year of publication, The Jazz Method for Trumpet is a complete course for beginner to intermediate students of all ages. It will guide you from producing your first notes to the performance of compositions by great jazz trumpeters like Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard and Woody Shaw.
The accompanying CD provides backing for all the music. From the very beginning you play with a great jazz band, featuring Phil Lee (guitar), Jeff Clyne (bass) and Paul Clarvis (drums).
- Detailed explanation of the foundation techniques of breathing, embouchure, tonguing and posture.
- Step-by-step instruction that guides you through a progression of specially written pieces.
- A logical, systematic approach to learning the rhythmic subtleties of jazz.
- Clear explanation of all relevant aspects of musical theory.
- Improvisation is encouraged from an early stage.
- Ear-training exercises.
- Suggestions for listening and reading to help you learn more about jazz.
- An interesting and musical approach to learning scales and arpeggios, with backing tracks that let you improvise using the scales.
- Useful advice and information about care of the instrument, mouthpieces, mutes, accessories, transposition and the harmonic series.
- Chord sequences for all the tunes, so that the teacher or another musician can provide a ‘live’ accompaniment.
The Jazz Method for Trumpet is ideal both for teaching yourself and for learning with a teacher.
Critical acclaim for The Jazz Method for Trumpet
‘John O’Neill has a solid understanding of jazz and how it can be taught. I highly recommend his educational jazz materials.’
Jamey Aebersold, world-renowned jazz educator.
Buy this book (UK £)
Buy this book (USA $)
Buy this book (EU €)*
* Customers using other currencies please note that my books are available worldwide from good music shops and online stores.