Improve your playing with a great jazz band!
Following on from the best-selling Jazz Method for Clarinet, Developing Jazz Technique for Clarinet will help you develop your technical and improvisational skills.
The twenty-two pieces are in a variety of styles, including blues, swing, New Orleans, ragtime, jazz waltz, bossa nova, samba, salsa, calypso, reggae and South African.
The superb rhythm section of Phil Lee (guitar), Jeff Clyne (bass) and Paul Clarvis (drums) provides backing for all the pieces and exercises on the accompanying CD. You will feel like you are part of a great jazz band. Leading jazz clarinetist Mark Crooks inspires by example on the demonstration tracks.
The book can also be used by French and German speakers, as the text and notes are in three languages.
- Advice on ear-training, phrasing and articulation.
- How to improvise over simple harmonic forms.
- Discussion of special effects such as subtone, ‘ghosting’ and bending notes, and glissandi.
- Guidance on improvising over the II-V-I progression.
- Introduction of several new scales, including whole-tone and diminished scales.
- Scale and arpeggio patterns to practise in all keys.
- Suggestions for a basic repertoire of tunes.
- Tables of chord symbols, modes and trill fingerings.
- An insert provides chord sequences for all the tunes, so that your teacher or another musician can provide a live accompaniment.
Buy this book (UK £)
Buy this book (USA $)
Buy this book (EU €)*
* Customers using other currencies please note that my books are available worldwide from good music shops and online stores.