Learn to play the flute with a great jazz band!
Now in its twenty-fifth year of publication, The Jazz Method for Flute teaches you how to play through the idiom of jazz.
The Jazz Method for Flute is a complete course for beginner to intermediate students of all ages, guiding you from producing your first notes to the performance of compositions by great jazz musicians like Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins and Horace Silver.
The accompanying CD provides backing for all the music. From the very beginning you play with a great jazz band, featuring Phil Lee (guitar), Jeff Clyne (bass) and Paul Clarvis (drums).
- Detailed explanation of the foundation techniques of breathing, embouchure, tonguing and posture.
- Step-by-step instruction that guides you through a progression of specially written pieces.
- A logical, systematic approach to learning the rhythmic subtleties of jazz.
- Clear explanation of all aspects of musical theory.
- Improvisation is encouraged from an early stage.
- Ear-training exercises.
- Suggestions for listening and reading to help you learn more about jazz.
- An interesting and musical approach to learning scales and arpeggios, with backing tracks that let you improvise using the scales.
- Appendices include a bibliography, a discography, a fingering chart and advice about useful accessories.
- Chord sequences for all the tunes, so that the teacher or another musician can provide a ‘live’ accompaniment.
The Jazz Method for Flute is ideal both for teaching yourself and for learning with a teacher.
Critical acclaim for The Jazz Method for Flute
‘Very good original jazz tunes that students will use as stepping-stones to further development. A non-jazz-playing flute teacher would probably find the book a godsend, especially if students are studying for GCSE music.’
Steve Tayton, (Jazz Journal International).
‘John O’Neill has produced an excellent book which provides a new and welcome approach to flute playing.’
Aidan Gotzee (Pan, The Journal of the British Flute Society).
Buy this book (UK £)
Buy this book (USA $)
Buy this book (EU €) *
* A German translation, Die Jazzmethode für Flöte, is also available. Customers using other currencies please note that my books are available worldwide from good music shops and online stores.